Ask an Accountant

If my mom gave us 3 kids her house in year 2000 and she passed away in 2019 , the house needed a lot of work which we did and we sold it in 2021. How much of that sale is taxable and are there any deductions we can take off the capital gains?

Great question! You'll be taxed on the "capital gain," which is gross proceeds minus your basis. "Basis" just means sunk cost in the home (for example, the original purchase price or repairs).

If your mom gifted you the home in 2000, your basis in the home is whatever your mom's basis was right before giving it to you (split three ways). The substantial renovations you made can be included in your basis as well.

You can also subtract any closing costs associated with the sale, such as commissions or title fees.

No answer given yet!

Sarah York, EA

Sarah is a staff writer at Keeper Tax and has her Enrolled Agent license with the IRS. Her work has been featured in Business Insider, Money Under 30, Best Life, GOBankingRates, and Shopify. She has nearly a decade of public accounting experience, and has worked with clients in a wide range of industries, including oil and gas, manufacturing, real estate, wholesale and retail, finance, and ecommerce. Sarah has extensive experience offering strategic tax planning at the state and federal level. During her time in industry, she handled tax returns for C Corps, S corps, partnerships, nonprofits, and sole proprietorships. Sarah is a member of the National Association of Enrolled Agents (NAEA) and maintains her continuing education requirements by completing over 30 hours of tax training every year. In her spare time, she is a devoted cat mom and enjoys hiking, baking, and overwatering her houseplants.

Followup question?
Ask away.

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

Got a different question? Ask our accountants.

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

Find write-offs.
File taxes.

Keeper Tax helps independent contractors and freelancers discover tax deductions and file taxes.

Try for free →
Find write-offs. File taxes.