Ask an Accountant

I am a 1099 contract therapist for a local for-profit mental health agency. They take 40% of my billed services, acting more or less as a billing clearinghouse, that 40% being their fee. Can I deduct this cost on my Schedule C?

Absolutely! The fee they charge is a cost of doing business, so it’s a perfectly legitimate write-off. The only caveat is that you need to report your gross_income on line 1 of the Schedule C.

Gross income would be the entire amount you billed for your services before the 40% cut from the agency. I would recommend reporting this expense on line 10 of your Schedule C, “Commissions and Fees,” or under Cost of Goods Sold.

No answer given yet!

Sarah York, EA

Sarah is a staff writer at Keeper Tax and has her Enrolled Agent license with the IRS. Her work has been featured in Business Insider, Money Under 30, Best Life, GOBankingRates, and Shopify. She has nearly a decade of public accounting experience, and has worked with clients in a wide range of industries, including oil and gas, manufacturing, real estate, wholesale and retail, finance, and ecommerce. Sarah has extensive experience offering strategic tax planning at the state and federal level. During her time in industry, she handled tax returns for C Corps, S corps, partnerships, nonprofits, and sole proprietorships. Sarah is a member of the National Association of Enrolled Agents (NAEA) and maintains her continuing education requirements by completing over 30 hours of tax training every year. In her spare time, she is a devoted cat mom and enjoys hiking, baking, and overwatering her houseplants.

Followup question?
Ask away.

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

Got a different question? Ask our accountants.

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

Find write-offs.
File taxes.

Keeper Tax helps independent contractors and freelancers discover tax deductions and file taxes.

Try for free →
Find write-offs. File taxes.