Ask an Accountant

My parent claims me as a dependent and already filed, can I reverse that with the IRS and file on my own?

Unfortunately, no. The only way for you to claim yourself this year is if your parents amend their return and remove you as a dependent first. If you try to file now, your return will likely be rejected.

You can file a tax return as dependent, but you won’t be able to take advantage of many of the credits available to regular filers, and your standard deduction is limited to the greater of $1,100 or your earned income plus $350. So if you had W-2 income of $4,000, your standard deduction would be $4,350 (with a max of $12,550).

he only real reason to file as a dependent in most cases is to reclaim W-2 withholding or pay self-employment taxes.

No answer given yet!

Sarah York, EA

Sarah is a staff writer at Keeper Tax and has her Enrolled Agent license with the IRS. Her work has been featured in Business Insider, Money Under 30, Best Life, GOBankingRates, and Shopify. She has nearly a decade of public accounting experience, and has worked with clients in a wide range of industries, including oil and gas, manufacturing, real estate, wholesale and retail, finance, and ecommerce. Sarah has extensive experience offering strategic tax planning at the state and federal level. During her time in industry, she handled tax returns for C Corps, S corps, partnerships, nonprofits, and sole proprietorships. Sarah is a member of the National Association of Enrolled Agents (NAEA) and maintains her continuing education requirements by completing over 30 hours of tax training every year. In her spare time, she is a devoted cat mom and enjoys hiking, baking, and overwatering her houseplants.

Followup question?
Ask away.

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

Got a different question? Ask our accountants.

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

Find write-offs.
File taxes.

Keeper Tax helps independent contractors and freelancers discover tax deductions and file taxes.

Try for free →
Find write-offs. File taxes.