Ask an AI Accountant

A free tool by

If I pay my sons rent and utilities while he’s full time at school, can I deduct that from my taxes?
AI accountant’s answer:
As a friendly tax assistant, I can inform you that paying your son's rent and utilities while he's at school doesn't generally qualify as a tax-deductible expense. However, if he is your dependent, you might be able to claim him as a dependent on your tax return, which could provide some tax benefits. Educational expenses, like tuition and certain fees, may be eligible for educational tax credits like the American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC) or Lifetime Learning Credit (LLC). However, these credits don't cover rent and utilities. Please note that there are income limits and other eligibility requirements for these credits.
Comment from reviewer
Jacques Seys, CPA
Not Correct.
Icon check
Looks good

Keeper’s AI Accountant

This AI accountant is powered by GPT-4, but has up-to-date knowledge of tax law. It’s been trained on federal and state tax updates for 2023. With credentialed tax professionals fact-checking its responses, it applies IRS rules to real-world situations.

Estimate tax saving

Track and claim every eligible deduction with Keeper

Keeper is the top-rated all-in-one business expense tracker, tax filing service, and personal accountant.