Top 15 Expensify Alternatives
Everyone has heard the saying 'to make money, you need to spend money'. While it does hold, there are limitations to this logic. If you aren't careful with how much you're spending, you're going to find yourself in hot water pretty quickly. Mismanagement of expenses is one of the most common causes of business failure.
That's why expense management software is important. It helps you see how much money is going in and out of your business at any time. This gives you greater insight into your money-flow, which significantly reduces the likelihood of going over your assigned budgeting.
Different Expense Tracking Apps For Small Businesses
One of the most popular forms of expense management software is Expensify. Despite its popularity, Expensify may not be the service you need. There are numerous alternatives available that may suit certain businesses or workflow far more.
We've compiled the top 15 Expensify alternatives for you to browse, each with their own pros and cons. Let's get into it.
1. Keeper Tax
Our number one pick is Keeper Tax. Instead of providing an overview of your accounts, this 1099 tracker startup focuses on your inevitable tax bill. It automatically finds tax write-offs from your yearly purchases, which can lead to savings in the thousands. The average Keeper Tax customer saves as much as $6,428 every year.
Their process begins by performing a thorough, automatic scan of your credit card and bank account statements for previous purchases. It then highlights and creates hassle-free expense reports for all the purchases that can be considered tax write-offs that you may have missed. You can then either file your taxes directly through Keeper Tax or simply export your saving information. Simple!
The Keeper Tax interface is clean and easy to navigate. All of your records are separated easily into distinct categories. You can even mark off entire vendors as work-related or personal instead of going through each transaction manually. If you want to organize your taxes through automation, look no further. Keeper Tax's process saves you both time and money, not to mention a lot of stress. It acts as a receipt bank.
You are also assigned your own bookkeeper, who you can contact via text message. They will often check in with you regarding recent expenses to assess whether they qualify as write-offs. The best bit? You're actually speaking with a human. There are no random tax bots here, just legitimate communication aiming to save you money on your independent contractor taxes.
Pricing: $24/mo, with a 30-day free trial
- Can potentially save you thousands each year
- Demystifies the complex tax process, ease-of-use
- Your bookkeeper is a real person; you aren’t just communicating with an algorithm
- Neatly organizes all of your 1099 tax deductions
- Mobile app available on IOS and Android
- A ton of raving reviews for Keeper Tax
- Unlike competing expenses software, it doesn’t strictly monitor your daily incomings-outgoings
The first thing many business-owners will notice with Wave is its lack of price tag. It's completely free to use the software but doesn't skimp on any of its key features. It pairs invoicing, accounting, and receipt scanning features into one easy-to-use interface. It's ideal for newer businesses, independent freelancers, or smaller businesses that don't need an expansive service.
Wave's primary goal is to provide you with an all-in-one location for all of your financial records. It allows you to easily keep track of your incomings and outgoings from one screen. You also get instant access via its cloud-hosted app from any location. The service is fully automated, meaning the risk of errors from manual entry is completely removed.
Perhaps the most appealing factor is how easy it makes doing your taxes. If you're new to self-employment or running your own business, doing your own taxes for the first few times can be incredibly daunting. Wave put's all of this information into perspective.
- Free to use
- Instant updates on payments, invoicing, bank data, and tax information
- Designed for independent freelancers or new businesses
- Not appropriate for larger, more established businesses that require more in-depth features
3. Sage Intacct
This expanse management software is for businesses that are looking to expand their horizons. It's entirely cloud-based, meaning it can be accessed anywhere from various devices by multiple users. This accessibility is key to its function, as staff can enter their expense information whenever they need to.
In terms of specific accounting features, Sage Intacct automates almost all of them. The key focus of the software is time management and individual staff contributions to projects. This allows managers to easily note who is completing work where they should be and how much they're owed. It also provides staff with an easy way to check their own progress.
All reports recorded by staff can be double-checked by managers for quick approval, making for a more efficient taskforce overall. All of this information is automatically saved into invoice format in addition to updating revenue information. This is a huge time saver for many businesses.
Pricing: From $8000 to $50,000 per year, depending on the size of your business
- Fully automates numerous accounting features for ease of use
- Entirely cloud-based, so accessible from anywhere
- Provides information on project management expenses and progress in real-time, with an instantly updated overall revenue figure
- Focuses predominantly on growth or project completion, so may not apply to eCommerce businesses
4. FinancialForce Accounting
This software is for any business looking to streamline its workforce, whether you employ ten people or 100 (or beyond!). Its primary functioning is accounting instead of specific expense management, but the two often go hand in hand. If you can identify your expenses to a greater extent, you're in the best position to limit unnecessary outgoings.
FinancialForce also offers live suggestions regarding your short-term and long-term budget plans, in addition to any flaws in your expenditure that it identifies. This advice can save you significant amounts of money. All staff records and expenses are done via a single system, offering cohesive and consistent information at your disposal whenever needed.
Pricing: Individually evaluated based upon your specific requirements.
- A centralized recording system removes the risk of overly complicated accounts
- Entirely cloud-based so can be accessed anywhere from any device
- Offers five separate accounting packages based on your needs, with individualized pricing alongside
- Only applicable to businesses with multiple employees, so not ideal for freelancers or smaller partnership businesses
Specifically designed with freelancers and small businesses in mind, FreeAgent is one of the most accessible expense management software available. It offers a wide variety of tools built-in to its interface, meaning smaller businesses are provided with everything they need to keep accurate accounts.
This includes invoicing functions, payroll records, and expenses. It's all optimized to be as user-friendly as possible. Even if you're a beginner, you will get the hang of things pretty quickly. To record expenses, for instance, all you need to do is take a picture of your receipt and upload it into the bespoke system. Simple!
Cashflow is easy to monitor as there's an ongoing total recorded via the dashboard, which also considers any upcoming bills. You can link FreeAgent to your bank accounts so you can track expenses from your incomings and outgoings in one centralized location.
Pricing: $10/mo for the first 6 months, and then $20/mo following, with a 30-day free trial
- The easy-to-use interface is applicable for even novice business-owners or freelancers
- Fully compatible with multiple accounts to create a centralized expense record
- Very low-priced compared to its competitors, with an additional 30-day free trial
- Not appropriate for bigger businesses that require a more complex service
Xero is one of the most popular choices on our list. It is an easily recognizable name for most business owners. It caters to a wide range of brands that pertain to numerous industries and niches. Xero's main selling point is its ease of use and how efficiently it manages multiple accounting processes.
The accessibility of the service means that even if you're completely new to accounting, you'll be able to begin keeping the necessary records. Xero excels in making the complicated aspects of expense management streamlined, and sometimes even enjoyable. This widespread usability is what has established Xero as one of the best management services in the market.
All of your transactions, both incoming and outgoing, can be edited to suit your particular needs from the template up. You also get an overview of your business's financial health, comprised of cash flow records, balance sheets, and income statements. The reports Xero provides are specific and detailed, so the risk of missing important data is completely minimized.
Pricing: Starter $9/mo, Standard $30/mo, Premium 10 $70/mo
- Massively user-friendly, even for absolute beginners
- Instantly updated records provide insightful detail into all of your transactions
- Your records are fully customizable, so everything can look exactly how you want it
- Lacks nuance when it comes to saving client details, as they are all collected in one extended ‘contacts’ list
7. Sage Business Cloud Accounting
Previously known as Sage One, Saga Business Cloud Accounting is an expense management software that allows for full integration with cloud storage. This means you can open it from anywhere via any device for full accessibility.
The interactive dashboard provides visual representation of numerous accounting metrics. From a single glance, you gain unique insight into your incomings and outgoings, in addition to relevant tax information. You can also access information about previous supplier purchases, details on sales to your customers, and reports on previously uploaded bank statements.
Due to its cloud-integration, you can also access your accounting information directly from your smartphone. This makes adding the details of new customers exceptionally easy. The identifiable infographics are also perfect for business newbies.
Pricing: Accounting Start $10/mo, Accounting $25/mo, Accounting Plus $30/mo
- User-friendly dashboard design
- Fully cloud-compatible, providing great accessibility
- Loaded with features required for effective accounts management
- Some security concerns regarding total storage of sensitive information on the cloud
8. Zoho Expense
The terms' accounting' and 'enjoyable' don't often go together, but Zoho Expense tries to make financial management better with its user-friendly software. Zoho Expense has an exceptionally quick recording system. It removes the slow, painstaking process of manual entry.
The system creates most accounting records via a single click. The process of recording receipts as expenses is entirely automated and grouped together in easily-accessible categories. Zoho Expense is also fully compatible across multiple devices, allowing for on-the-go accounting.
You can even convert credit card transactions into expenses automatically. So you don't need to have a corporate card. The dashboard interface is completely user-friendly, opting for simple drag-and-drop functionality that even novices can wrap their head around. Zoho Expense streamlines what can be an unnecessarily complicated process.
Pricing: Free or $15/mo, depending on the package you select
- Highly intuitive design that focuses on making accounting simple
- Very affordable, suitable for independent freelancers or smaller businesses
- Doesn't present a steep learning curve
- Not appropriate for use with multiple businesses from one account
9. QuickBooks Enterprise
QuickBooks Enterprise is a unique entry on our list, primarily aimed at growing business or non-profit organizations. The software offers a variety of advanced features that can all be customized to suit your particular niche. These include payroll, pricing, and inventory tracking data.
Not to be confused with QuickBooks, QuickBooks Enterprise is a service aimed at businesses that have outgrown the former. It isn't designed to be an entry-level software, which is something to bear in mind before moving forward with it.
However, despite this, QuickBooks Enterprise isn't difficult to get your head around. The interface's ease of use is great, so you don't need to be an experienced accountant to begin working with it.
Pricing: There are numerous packages available, ranging from $140/mo up to $1848/yr
- A natural successor to QuickBooks
- Not designed for entry-level accounting, but still easy to get to grips with
- Variety of payment packages make it a highly versatile software
- Its primary focus is accounting, so you may find other key reports you expect are not readily available
If you're a small business owner, FreshBooks is one of the most efficient expense management software. Two of its standout features include its ability to accurately time work processes in addition to streamlining customer invoicing. The entire software is designed to suit small or growing businesses' needs, and this specificity pays off.
Professional looking invoices can be created via just a few simple clicks, so there's no need for manual assembly every single time. Simply utilize the customizable templates and send them off to your client. It couldn't be much easier.
It's also completely compatible with numerous other relevant apps, including Shopfiy, PayPal, and Stripe, among others.
Pricing: Lite $15/mo, Plus $25/mo, Premium $50/mo
- Offers a more focused approach that benefits smaller businesses specifically
- Creating invoices couldn't be easier, which streamlines your entire process
- The provided templates are customizable enough to allow individuality while providing fully cohesive branding
- The price plans can be expensive for businesses with more than a few clients
11. Zoho Books
The second Zoho service making its way onto our list is Zoho Books. It offers small businesses an easier way to do their bookkeeping. It achieves this via an intuitive, user-friendly interface that provides actionable data in a format that even novice users can understand.
It also benefits from a recognizable flagship name. Zoho's customer support is readily available for any queries you may have, which not all expenses software can claim. Zoho Books allows you to centralize your record keeping via cash flow statements, invoice production, and balance sheets. The sheer attention to detail afforded with Zoho Books is welcome and valuable to any SMB business.
Pricing: Basic $9/mo, Standard $19/mo, Professional $29/mo
- From a recognizable accounting software brand
- Benefits from a variety of features suitable for growing businesses
- For the amount offered with the software, the pricing is highly affordable
- Not appropriate for bigger businesses with multiple employees/clients
The biggest selling point of Stride is its ability to track mileage for easy claim back on expenses. However, it also possesses many features to help manage your taxes throughout the year, so your submission to the IRS isn't quite as intimidating.
It's entirely free with no hidden fees. It operates while you use your smartphone and can be set to only start recording mileage when it's actively plugged in. This avoids any accidental recordings of personal mileage or when you're simply a passenger.
You can also set it to ask you whenever you're in a vehicle, whether you're driving for work or not. If you complete a journey and realize that you've forgotten to start tracking, you can manually add your miles.
Pricing: Entirely free
- Makes tracking mileage simple
- Allows for tax submission directly through the app
- Makes applying for health, dental, and vision insurance easier via the 'benefits' tab
- Predominantly only useful for rideshare businesses
Another mileage tracker to help with your rideshare expenses is Hurdlr, though it also helps you keep track of your expenses. Through its intuitive interface, you can connect your payment accounts—such as PayPal, Stripe, or Uber—to keep track of your overall income. Hurdlr also provides a tax estimate based upon the data you input, including expenses and mileage.
Hurdlr is aimed at Lyft, Uber, or similar rideshare drivers that need an easier way to record their drive expenses and income. Keeping track of mileage can be complicated if you attempt to do it all manually. Hurdlr makes this process infinitely easier.
Pricing: Free or $7.99/yr for Premium
- Income and mileage tracking are highly effective
- Easily compatible with your usual payment app
- Free unless you require Premium services
- The expenses interface can look a little messy due to a lack of categorization options
Bench is a cloud-based expenses management tool that claims to be the largest accounting service for small businesses in the United States. The software provides you with a variety of features offering a comprehensive view of your incomings and outgoings. It prepares you efficiently for filing your tax returns, without all the commonly associated stress.
Bench's strong appeal is that you can use it from anywhere, provided you have an internet connection. All of your relevant tax and expenses documents are easily exportable through simple downloads. You can also stay in contact with your team via the in-built chat option. This means keeping everyone up to date is streamlined and allows for cohesive management of reported staff members' expense reporting.
Pricing: From $139/mo to $299/mo, depending on the size of your business
- Launched in 2013 and continues to improve to meet its many customer's needs
- 30-day free trial available
- Highly straightforward interface with no steep learning curve
- May be out of the budget for newly founded businesses
Most internet searches have Everlance listed as a mileage recorder, and while it certainly excels in that function, it offers more key accounting features than that. Everlance allows you to keep constant track of your revenue and expenses, which it then uses to prepare estimate tax reports. This software is especially useful for new, small businesses or solo freelancers.
Pricing: Mostly free with a Premium subscription available for $8/mo
- Easy to use with an intuitive interface
- Offers all the most basic functions required for tax records
- Ideal software solution for solo business owners
- Too simplistic for large businesses or those looking to expand
The best businenss expenses management software entirely depends on what your business looks like and why you need to keep records. If you don't need to record mileage, then a mileage tracker likely isn't for you. The size of your business and how many people you employ also plays a key role in which service you opt for.
Remember, shopping around and trying multiple services is the best way to find the perfect fit. However, we think Keeper Tax is a great expense management solution.
Signup for 1099 Tax University
Get the tax info they should have taught us in school: