Can You Use Credit Card Statements as Receipts for Taxes?

Soo Lee, CPA
March 29, 2023
Icon check
Reviewed by
Can You Use Credit Card Statements as Receipts for Taxes?
Soo Lee, CPA
March 29, 2023
Icon check
Reviewed by

When filing your return, you aren’t required to submit any receipts or paperwork to prove your tax deductions. You'll have to prove expenses reported on your return if you receive an Internal Revenue Service tax audit notice. You may be wondering, "Can you use credit card statements as receipts for taxes?" It is always better to be able to show all your bookkeeping details to the IRS auditor. They require any form of acceptable proof such as receipts, bank statements, credit card statements, cancelled checks, bills or invoices from suppliers and service providers.

Without the appropriate documentation, the IRS won’t allow your deductions.  Remember, it's better to be safe than sorry. Scan and store all documentations to keep digital copies for your bookkeeping records.


Why should you keep tax records?  

The IRS requires that have a detailed expense record, which makes proper bookkeeping very important to your big or small business.  

Good records will help you do the following:

  • Monitor the progress of your business
  • Prepare your financial statements
  • Know how much tax you have to pay in 1099 income
  • Identify sources of your taxable income
  • Keep track of your tax deductible expenses and write offs
  • Keep track of your basis in property
  • Tax Preparation
  • Support items reported on your tax returns

As a business owner you must always keep your records, including credit card statements available in case of an IRS audit.  During the IRS examination of your tax returns, a detailed set of records will expedite the inspection process and protect you from penalties. Don't get caught in an IRS audit without your receipts.

What kind of records should you keep?

So, now you know it is important to keep documents because they support your record keeping and are valuable to have as 1099 tax deductions. your tax return.  What types of records should you keep then?

Gross income

How would you prove your receipts for the goods you sold or services you provided for your business? You would generally receive a form 1099-NEC from your clients (if you’re paid over $600) or a form 1099-K from your credit card company (if you’re paid over $20,000). However, you must still keep supporting documents that show details such as the amounts and product/service descriptions of your income in the current year. Examples of documents for gross income should include invoices, cash register tapes, and receipt books.

Inventory, cost of goods sold, and expenses

If your business buys and sells any goods, you would have inventory and cost of goods sold number in your financials for the current year. These expenses are tax deductions from your 1099 income.All purchases can be documented using cleared checks, credit card payments on its statements, bills, and expense reports.

Other expenses generated for your businesses can also be documented and supported by bank/credit card statements, cash receipts, bills, and expense reports by employees or contractors.  Even credit card interest is tax deductible



If you purchase any business property such as building, equipment, vehicle or furniture and fixtures, it’s very important to keep good records about various information such as an original price, acquisition date, and when it’s started to be placed in business, etc. As the asset purchase cannot be claimed as a current-year expense, all depreciation deduction information needs to be tracked as well. Additionally, when the assets are sold, selling price and disposition date and method (e.g. sold, scrapped) must be recorded properly so it’s tax basis can be correctly calculated on its tax return.

Travel, entertainment, and gift expenses

If you deduct entertainment, gift, or travel expenses, you must be able to prove certain elements of the expenses. Below is a summary of records you need to prove each expense.


How long should you keep records?

The length of time tax payers should keep a document for federal tax purposes depends on the action, expense, or event. Tax laws state that you must keep your records that support an item of taxable income, deduction or credit shown on your return until the period of limitations runs out.

The period of limitations is the time in which you can amend your tax return to claim a credit or reimbursement. If you do not qualify for a refund, then the IRS can assess additional tax. The information below reflects the periods of limitations that apply to income tax returns. Unless otherwise stated, the years refer to the period after the return was filed. Returns filed before the due date are treated as filed on the due date.


Period of limitations that apply to income tax returns

  • Keep records for 3 years if situations (4), (5), and (6) below do not apply to you.
  • Keep records for 3 years from the date you filed your original return or 2 years from the date you paid the tax, whichever is later, if you file a claim for credit or refund after you file your return.
  • Keep records for 7 years if you file a claim for a loss from worthless securities or bad debt deduction.
  • Keep records for 6 years if you do not report income that you should report, and it is more than 25% of the gross income shown on your return.
  • Keep records indefinitely if you do not file a return.
  • Keep records indefinitely if you file a fraudulent return.
  • Keep employment tax records for at least 4 years after the date that the tax becomes due or is paid, whichever is later.


As long as the information is visible and legible, your scanned receipts and statements are acceptable as a proof records for the IRS purposes. Once you back up, save, or make digital copies of your records, you must keep them for another three years after tax time. Having a detailed record of your income and expenses will not only protect you against audits but also make handling your independent contractor taxes much easier. The burden of proof is on you. After the statute of limitations blocks the IRS from inspecting you, you don't have to keep your records in most cases.

Soo Lee, CPA

Soo Lee, CPA


Soo has over 10 years of experience at publicly traded companies and public accounting firms offering tax, accounting, payroll and advisory services to clients in diverse industries, including manufacturing, wholesale and retail, construction, real estate development, banking, finance, and professional and legal consulting. At Pricewaterhouse Cooper, she worked with many foreign-owned companies and advised clients on a broad range of issues, including federal and state tax minimization, determining the optimal structure for new foreign investments, and restructuring and reorganization for existing operations.

Find write-offs.
File taxes.

Keeper helps independent contractors and freelancers discover tax deductions and file taxes.

Get started
Get started
Free Resource
I’m a self-employed ...
Lyft / Uber driver
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
Adult entertainer
Airbnb host
Amazon Flex driver
Audio engineer
Car rental provider
Childcare provider
Cleaner / housekeeper
Commercial painter
Community manager
Computer technician
Construction contractor
Content creator
Costume / fashion designer
Customer support specialist
Delivery driver
Dog walker
Event planner
Financial advisor
HVAC technician
Insurance agent
Interior designer
Janitor / custodian
Lab technician
Loan officer
Lyft / Uber driver
Makeup artist
Massage therapist
Medical biller / coder
Nail tech
Notary / signing agent
Nutritionist / dietitian
Oil / gas contractor
Online seller
Personal concierge
Personal trainer
Pharmacy technician
Pressure washer owner
Property owner / real estate investor
Railroad contractor
Real estate agent
Security guard
Social worker
Sports coach
Tattoo artist
Teacher / tutor
Translator / interpreter
Travel nurse
Truck driver
Virtual assistant
Web developer
Wedding planner
Yoga teacher
Company Contact Country
Alfreds Futterkiste Maria Anders Germany
Centro comercial Moctezuma Francisco Chang Mexico
Ernst Handel Roland Mendel Austria

At Keeper, we’re on a mission to help people overcome the complexity of taxes. We’ve provided this information for educational purposes, and it does not constitute tax, legal, or accounting advice. If you would like a tax expert to clarify it for you, feel free to sign up for Keeper. You may also email with your questions.